Tuesday, December 11, 2012

This Semester


Being a part of the Transforming Education Team has been an amazing experience.  While I have only participated in this class for one semester I feel as though I have learned so much from the speakers we have had on this campus. When I first thought of the chance to take this class I thought that it would be interesting but not much more than that. Now having had one semester under my belt I can honestly say that this course has helped me to rethink what I want to do with my future. One experience that I can credit would have to have been the encounters that I had with Johnathan Kozol during his visit to campus. Mr.Kozol provided me with a deeper understanding of what is wrong with the public education system and who should be a teacher. I this experience was enlightening one and that it helped me to solidify my wanting to become an educator. 

While a lot of the annual theme events held outside of the classroom have been a great experience I would have to say that my experience inside the classroom has been equally transformative. The discussions that our class had definitely pushed me to think deeper into situations. I feel as though our classes reflections after the events have definitely helped in my growth. The opportunity to reflect on everything has made everything come full circle. Another aspect of this course thath as been great is the discussions that have come about from the events. I’ve seen students conversing about the events that have taken place on our campus. Knowing that you’ve had some involvement with the execution of the events and knowing that people have found them to be touching is great.

Overall this course has had a major influence on the direction in which my life is heading. This course has allowed me to partake in conversations of the privileged and inequalities that are associated with education. All in all this course has helped me to become more knowledgeable about education.

No comments:

Post a Comment